Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Chives

Back in March, I got a bunch of potted chives, which are from the onion family. What was amazing were the blooms, which are essentially mini Alliums. These flowers are onion flavored and are great to add to salads and omelettes. They grow so prolifically I add them to my floral arrangements too.

Chives are great, stir fried with beansprouts or added in omelettes.



Update 19 Sep 2015:

Our original pot of chives died on us. A few possibilities:
1) Over fertilized - I was feeding generous amounts of chicken poo and watering with dissolved NKP. 
2) Over pruning - I was overzealously removing and cutting off yellowed leaves and 'harvesting' the blossoms.
3) Too shady - as the plants weakened and burned with too much fertilizing, they wilted easily in the scorching heat. Moving it to the shade sort of created a slower but eventual demise.

So I got a replacement, because the blossoms are just too lovely.


This one is left to its own devices to fend for itself in a sunny spot, against all the natural elements. No fertilizers for now. If I need to, I will probably only add in soil and compost mix. It seem happy for the past 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment