Pages

Friday, September 18, 2015

Potatoes

There have been mixed reviews about the possibility of growing potatoes in tropical Singapore. Most say no, but a few affirmative voices have prompted me to give it a shot, even though the best case only promised very tiny potatoes.


I had a sprouting potato that has been sitting on my kitchen sill since April 2015. I have been pensive to start because of the mixed reviews. 

On 13 Sep 2015, signs of decay is spotted on the sprouting potato, so I was finally obliged. I cut out the unaffected shoot and buried it in a bag of soil to try. 

I inverted a canvas rice bag, and filled it with a mix of: garden soil, potting mix and compost. I filled the bag with 10cm of soil, placed the shoot cutting in and covered it with about 7cm of soil.

Nothing happened on the first few days.


On 16 Sep 2015, the first sign of life peeked through the soil despite the torrential rains and I was relieved that something finally happened. 


On 19 Sep 2015, the little shoot had put out more leaves. So from now it's a waiting game. The game plan is to wait for growth and start moulding the soil up every time the greens hit 4inches (about 10cm).


No comments:

Post a Comment