Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Stevia

Here is another mysterious plant. I got it from the nursery and the gardener called it 甜菊 (sweet chrysanthemum).


He explained that the sweet leaves can be used as a sugar alternative! Because I like to enjoy a daily cup of tea, this is exactly what I have been hunting around for. Gardener explained that boiling in water releases the sweetness of the leaves.


These floral buds will bloom into little white lovelies!

Update 10 Sep 15:

So I have gone on a wild goose chase trying to identify this plant. I can safely conclude that it is Stevia (甜菊). A South American native plant, also commonly called honey leaf plant, sweet chrysanthemum, sweet leaf, sugarleaf, etc.

Found a comprehensive article stating its benefits: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/stevia-plant.html

But Stevia brings to mind the artificial sweeteners scares of being carcinogenic and used as a contraceptive. So some research is needed before trying it out.

Regarding its carcinogenic properties, appears that there is a general consensus that altered Strvia is the most damaging. The natural, unprocessed versions seem alright. Here is a rather comrehensive article: http://draxe.com/stevia-side-effects/


Regarding its contraceptive properties, the fear stem from its traditional use among the indigenous populations of South America as a contraceptive. Lab tests are not unanimously conclusive. Depending on website agendas, articles also sway.

I think this independent post by Norished Kitechen voicing their stand on Stevia, sort of sums up my current take.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/whats-your-take-on-stevia/

"How do I use stevia now? Occasionally I find myself served an herbal tea that has stevia leaves added to it. Meh.  I finish the cup and don’t ask for more." 
- Nourished Kitchen

In case I might have a change of heart and become more confident, here is how to use the fresh leaves.

Fresh stevia leaves can be used to sweeten tea or in sauces. A few fresh stevia and mint leaves will make a refreshing herbal tea when steeped in a cup of boiling water.



No comments:

Post a Comment