Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Tomatoes - Rubies on the Vine

Inspired by the bountiful tomato harvests of fellow local gardeners, I decided to jump on the bandwagon of growing tomatoes from seeds - especially since we have organic tomatoes in the refrigerator.

We made a lovely mozerella caprese and saved the stray seeds on the cutting board. The seeds were a little wet, so I left them overnight on the window sill.

I sowed the seeds on 22 Aug 2015. As usual, I like to germinate tiny seeds in ice trays as it means starting on less potting mix. The moisture conditions are also easier to control in smaller areas. I placed a seed in each corner of the cubby holes. Managed to fill 9 cubby holes with a total of 36 seeds.


On the 3rd day, the first sprouts started to appear. By the 6th, most of the seedlings were out.




To be candid, I am still clueless about the variety of tomatoes we will be getting. The label on the box just states that it's organic Rubies on the Vine from Mexico.

I am guessing (and hoping) it's going to be an indeterminate (vine) instead of a determinate (bush). As indeterminate are perennials. But it's a wild guess subject to more research. 

Some growers mention the possibility of hybrid tomatoes flowering but eventually not fruiting. Without much information about this variety, the risk of disappointment is omni-present.


Update 5 Sep 2015:

The seedlings have grown stronger. Some have even sprouted new leaves. So I decided to pot them individually before the roots get too entangled. 


The Welgrow substrate is so well aerated it is not too difficult to separate the seedlings.

Most growers recommend thinning down the seedlings at this point. However, I am too inexperienced to decide which seedling is a better specimen to keep and which one to discard. So I decided to keep all the well formed ones, which is majority and if need be, use them to experiment growing techniques. 


I transplanted the seedlings individually into mini cupcake holders. 33 seedlings made it. Way too many. I would give them away if I am more confident that they can fruit. 

So it's back to research work before I decide what to do with these little lovelies! 


Update 26 Sep 2015:


Almost a month after sowing the seeds. These tomato seedlings are finally putting out more leaves. It looks like these seeds sprout quickly but grow slowly.

Update 3 Jan 2016:

The seedlings grew quickly after potting. Within a month, they grew to about 30cm and started flowering. For the longest time, the flowers just dried off. I read that hybrids usually do not fruit and thought this could actually be one of those.

It is about 4 months since we sprouted the seeds and the 2 surviving plants are about 1m tall.



Yesterday however, a singular tomato was finally spotted on one of the plants. It's exhilarating!


Let's hope there are more to come!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment